The Erudite Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Erudite Society

Where thought is free and the civilized may congregate for intellectually stimulating discussion.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» Words of Wisdom
History tends to repeat itself Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 1:21 am by Armel Rivera

» The side facing the Moon Hot?
History tends to repeat itself Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 4:25 am by Kiley Do

» Depression
History tends to repeat itself Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 3:42 pm by Christopher Ortega

» What is genius?
History tends to repeat itself Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 1:35 am by Kim Griffiths

» Global Warming? True or False?
History tends to repeat itself Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 1:39 pm by Tyler Bryant

» Are Humans Inherently Greedy?
History tends to repeat itself Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 5:33 pm by Jonathan Stagnaro

» A Haiku - Open Mic Night
History tends to repeat itself Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 2:12 pm by Armel Rivera

» Jehova Witness
History tends to repeat itself Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 10:35 pm by Jerel Crespo

» Who is your favorite artist?
History tends to repeat itself Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 5:28 am by Jerel Crespo

Top posters
Jerel Crespo
History tends to repeat itself Vote_lcapHistory tends to repeat itself Voting_barHistory tends to repeat itself Vote_rcap 
Nick Culver
History tends to repeat itself Vote_lcapHistory tends to repeat itself Voting_barHistory tends to repeat itself Vote_rcap 
Larry Griffin
Shawn Toner
Kim Griffiths
Brad Jones
Maggie Tello
Erin Clarke
Arielle Martinez
Thomas Bird
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

History tends to repeat itself

Go down 
+2
Michael Bird
Jerel Crespo
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Jerel Crespo
The Legend
Jerel Crespo

Number of posts : 1079
Registration date : 2008-09-27

History tends to repeat itself Empty
PostSubject: History tends to repeat itself   History tends to repeat itself Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 1:28 am

Do you really think of this as true? Sure, people make the same mistakes, but that does not necessarily mean that it's all one big cycle. There are hundreds of different thinking minds, and infinite amounts of actions being taken place. Eventually, something will "repeat," and there may even be a pattern, but it's just because new things aren't tried.

It just sounds like a self-fulfilled prophecy to me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/voxpopuli
Michael Bird
Plebian
Plebian
Michael Bird

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-10-19

PostSubject: Re: History tends to repeat itself   History tends to repeat itself Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 1:32 am

Jerel Crespo wrote:
Do you really think of this as true? Sure, people make the same mistakes, but that does not necessarily mean that it's all one big cycle. There are hundreds of different thinking minds, and infinite amounts of actions being taken place. Eventually, something will "repeat," and there may even be a pattern, but it's just because new things aren't tried.

I can't really say, but I do know the similarities between Napoleon and Hitler are pretty interesting, especially their downfalls.
Back to top Go down
Jerel Crespo
The Legend
Jerel Crespo

PostSubject: Re: History tends to repeat itself   History tends to repeat itself Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 2:05 am

Michael Bird wrote:
Jerel Crespo wrote:

I can't really say, but I do know the similarities between Napoleon and Hitler are pretty interesting, especially their downfalls.
Go on.
Back to top Go down
Larry Griffin
Scholar
Scholar
Larry Griffin

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2008-10-01

PostSubject: Re: History tends to repeat itself   History tends to repeat itself Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 9:38 am

Isn't the full saying "history is doomed to repeat itself if we don't learn from our mistakes"? Because I do agree, there are too many progressive ideas and new technological/scientific advances for history to keep repeating itself in the manner of a mechanical wheel of sorts.

However, even then, many of the things that humans had back in the early years, we still have now, in more advanced or disguised forms. We have bigger toys, but we still fight in wars, we still fall in love, we still have instruments to kill people with and we still break the law and are punished for it. With what we have come to know as human society, with its rigid walls, it's inevitable that some things will repeat themselves if we do not change them.

In fact, there were many mistakes in the past that we DID fix up, which is how we progressed as a society in the first place. Maybe someday we will have fixed up all of the loose ends.
Back to top Go down
http://miscutopia.20.forumer.com/index.php
Michael Bird
Plebian
Plebian
Michael Bird

PostSubject: Re: History tends to repeat itself   History tends to repeat itself Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 2:15 pm

Jerel Crespo wrote:
Michael Bird wrote:
Jerel Crespo wrote:

Go on.
Well we all know that Hitler got a little too sure of himself and went after Russia into their own country, during the winter. That is why he lost so terribly. Many think he actually had a great chance if he had pursued in the summer time. What is odd is how Napoleon Bonaparte did the same thing only a few hundred years before, attacking Russia during the winter in Russia’s own country. Historians believe that he, too, had a great chance for victory had he only waited out the season.

Another thing that I have found similar is the ancient Romans and the United States. They were very odd in choosing a republic government and we were odd for developing our democracy. They were an incredibly dominate nation and we are an incredibly dominate nation. They were very family oriented and so were we. They began to replace the family and good morals with entertainment (coliseums, plays) and we are also doing that (Hollywood).
But most of those are probably just similarities that I have forced together, I’ve just always thought that since I first learned about ancient Rome in 6th grade.
Back to top Go down
Erin Clarke
Plebian
Plebian
Erin Clarke

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2008-10-10

PostSubject: Re: History tends to repeat itself   History tends to repeat itself Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 5:47 pm

Michael Bird wrote:
Jerel Crespo wrote:
Michael Bird wrote:
Jerel Crespo wrote:

Go on.
Well we all know that Hitler got a little too sure of himself and went after Russia into their own country, during the winter. That is why he lost so terribly. Many think he actually had a great chance if he had pursued in the summer time. What is odd is how Napoleon Bonaparte did the same thing only a few hundred years before, attacking Russia during the winter in Russia’s own country. Historians believe that he, too, had a great chance for victory had he only waited out the season.

Another thing that I have found similar is the ancient Romans and the United States. They were very odd in choosing a republic government and we were odd for developing our democracy. They were an incredibly dominate nation and we are an incredibly dominate nation. They were very family oriented and so were we. They began to replace the family and good morals with entertainment (coliseums, plays) and we are also doing that (Hollywood).
But most of those are probably just similarities that I have forced together, I’ve just always thought that since I first learned about ancient Rome in 6th grade.

You absolutely just wrote my history essay for me. <3
I have to write about if the United States is following in the footsteps of the ancient Romans and if we are ultimately doomed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/15336237
Nick Culver
The Legend
Nick Culver

Number of posts : 587

PostSubject: Re: History tends to repeat itself   History tends to repeat itself Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 11:46 pm

Michael Bird wrote:
Jerel Crespo wrote:
Michael Bird wrote:
Jerel Crespo wrote:

Go on.

Hitler also called his empire the third reich, of which Napoleons was considered the secod reich.
Then they lost their empires in such similar ways, irony?
Back to top Go down
http://www.eruditesociety.com/
Michael Bird
Plebian
Plebian
Michael Bird

PostSubject: Re: History tends to repeat itself   History tends to repeat itself Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 1:00 am

Nick Culver wrote:
Michael Bird wrote:
Jerel Crespo wrote:
Michael Bird wrote:
Jerel Crespo wrote:

Go on.

Hitler also called his empire the third reich, of which Napoleons was considered the secod reich.
Then they lost their empires in such similar ways, irony?
Nice catch! Can't believe I missed that one.

What Larry said does sound good to me though about the full saying actually being "history is doomed to repeat itself if we don't learn from our mistakes." That would make it much more understandable.
Back to top Go down
Kim Griffiths
Adept
Adept

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2008-10-06

PostSubject: Re: History tends to repeat itself   History tends to repeat itself Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 2:06 am

In general, it is unlikely, but if you're focusing upon a specific scenario there are only so many options to either cause or prevent a mistake... it's a given, really.

Repeating the mistake of dropping a bowl of cereal while hula hooping is a lot more likely than dropping a bowl of cereal in general.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Jerel Crespo
The Legend
Jerel Crespo

PostSubject: Re: History tends to repeat itself   History tends to repeat itself Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 1:54 am

History repeats itself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: History tends to repeat itself   History tends to repeat itself Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

History tends to repeat itself
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Erudite Society :: Discussion :: History-
Jump to: