The Erudite Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Erudite Society

Where thought is free and the civilized may congregate for intellectually stimulating discussion.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» Words of Wisdom
Funerals... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 1:21 am by Armel Rivera

» The side facing the Moon Hot?
Funerals... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 4:25 am by Kiley Do

» Depression
Funerals... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 3:42 pm by Christopher Ortega

» What is genius?
Funerals... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 1:35 am by Kim Griffiths

» Global Warming? True or False?
Funerals... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 1:39 pm by Tyler Bryant

» Are Humans Inherently Greedy?
Funerals... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 5:33 pm by Jonathan Stagnaro

» A Haiku - Open Mic Night
Funerals... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 2:12 pm by Armel Rivera

» Jehova Witness
Funerals... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 10:35 pm by Jerel Crespo

» Who is your favorite artist?
Funerals... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 5:28 am by Jerel Crespo

Top posters
Jerel Crespo
Funerals... - Page 2 Vote_lcapFunerals... - Page 2 Voting_barFunerals... - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
Nick Culver
Funerals... - Page 2 Vote_lcapFunerals... - Page 2 Voting_barFunerals... - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
Larry Griffin
Shawn Toner
Kim Griffiths
Brad Jones
Maggie Tello
Erin Clarke
Arielle Martinez
Thomas Bird
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Funerals...

Go down 
+10
Maggie Tello
Jonathan Stagnaro
Nick Culver
Larry Griffin
Tico Alfonso
Erin Clarke
Jerel Crespo
Kim Griffiths
Shawn Toner
Michael Bird
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Erin Clarke
Plebian
Plebian
Erin Clarke

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2008-10-10

Funerals... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Funerals...   Funerals... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 3:15 pm

Maggie Tello wrote:

Its not the face or the body of the individual we need to memorialize, it is the soul that once inhabited that body

Think of that persons body as a representation of their soul. People like having an open casket because that body is a physical representation of who that person was that people can go up to and say goodbye. No one is going to a funeral to say goodbye to the lifeless flesh and bones that their loved one used to be. That body is the body that you heard that persons voice through, that they wrote down their thoughts with, that they lived their life in. It's the only way to represent who that person was, because that is where their soul lived.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/15336237
Jerel Crespo
The Legend
Jerel Crespo

Number of posts : 1079
Registration date : 2008-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Funerals...   Funerals... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 6:10 pm

Erin Clarke wrote:
Maggie Tello wrote:

Its not the face or the body of the individual we need to memorialize, it is the soul that once inhabited that body

Think of that persons body as a representation of their soul. People like having an open casket because that body is a physical representation of who that person was that people can go up to and say goodbye. No one is going to a funeral to say goodbye to the lifeless flesh and bones that their loved one used to be. That body is the body that you heard that persons voice through, that they wrote down their thoughts with, that they lived their life in. It's the only way to represent who that person was, because that is where their soul lived.
The body is a tool of the mind, nothing more. If I want to pay due respects, I'll do it in my head, since the brain truly represents a person's thoughts.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/voxpopuli
Erin Clarke
Plebian
Plebian
Erin Clarke

Number of posts : 198

PostSubject: Re: Funerals...   Funerals... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 6:46 pm

Jerel Crespo wrote:
Erin Clarke wrote:
Maggie Tello wrote:

The body is a tool of the mind, nothing more. If I want to pay due respects, I'll do it in my head, since the brain truly represents a person's thoughts.

That's what I'm saying. I'm not trying to convince anyone to like open caskets, I'm just explaining why people like them. If it's enough for you to say goodbye to someone in your head, that's awesome.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/15336237
Nick Culver
The Legend
Nick Culver

Number of posts : 587

PostSubject: Re: Funerals...   Funerals... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 6:57 pm

Erin Clarke wrote:
Maggie Tello wrote:

I think that was very eloquently stated, even though my compliment is pretty much spam, I just felt it was worth complimenting.

*LOL SPAM* -Jerel
Back to top Go down
http://www.eruditesociety.com/
Tyler Bryant
Dunce
Dunce
Tyler Bryant

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Funerals...   Funerals... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 8:44 pm

Michael Bird wrote:
You guys can bring up other forms of funerals or death rites if you want.
I personally think that funerals are very odd. Take a dead body. Keep it preserved for about a week. Paint it and make it look like it is napping. Place in huge expensive wooden bed. Open the bed and have many people in a room with it. Force little kids to go up to it and stare at death. Bury in the ground.
It’s probably just me but I think that is just really odd. Of course I also think that having a pet is a weird practice as well but whatever.

Does anyone think that this is a perfectly normal practice?
I was at a funeral awhile ago thinking this same thing. Here I am sitting on a wooden bench in a room full of people milling around talking about just about anything with a week old corpse sitting at the head of the room in a satin lined bed. The releasing of butterflies at the burial is odd too, seeing those little things packaged and wiggling around kinda made me think about how selfish humans are. Why preserve the dead anyways? Take up room in the ground and waste perfectly good vitamins and such. Burn the body, grow in the ashes, tahts how you should remember someone, with a TREE.
Back to top Go down
Jonathan Stagnaro
Prole
Prole
Jonathan Stagnaro

Number of posts : 73

PostSubject: Re: Funerals...   Funerals... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 4:13 pm

Michael Bird wrote:
Jonathan Stagnaro wrote:
I think it's also a weird practice, which is why I'm thinking of having my body burdened when I die. Saves space and I don't want anyone grieving over me. I think that whoever had close connections with me needs a break from grief and I also need to rest in peace.

What do you mean “burdened?” I haven’t heard of something like that?

Oops, lol! I only get 2 hours of sleep at night.... I wasn't thinking straight
Back to top Go down
http://www.team945robotics.net
Elias Cabrera
Dunce
Dunce
Elias Cabrera

Number of posts : 9

PostSubject: Re: Funerals...   Funerals... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 10:08 pm

Hmm....I'm not sure if I'm severly disconnected from the respect for life. The main issue I have with funerals is that they suck the money out of those who are in emotional dispair. For this reason I consider funerals (with the death box and all) unnecessary and excessive. Why waste money on someone who is gone? Unless one gains an incredible amount of closure or relief from having a funeral, I believe this particular ceremony to be a pointless spending of money. (I also have an issue with taking up vast amounts of land to bury all these people).
Instead, I think that people should be cremated. It costs less and it allows the loved ones to spread it some place nice, without taking up an entire lot of land! (There is also possiblity of keeping the ashes but....eww). Perhaps only certain people can say goodbye to the whole representation of their loved ones, whereas other may part with the like in dust form.
Back to top Go down
Jerel Crespo
The Legend
Jerel Crespo

Number of posts : 1079

PostSubject: Re: Funerals...   Funerals... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 3:10 pm

Sure, Elias, it's efficient your way, but in places like Japan where tradition rules, your ideas are completely absurd. And humans without tradition aren't human at all, are they?

http://www.eruditesociety.com/controversial-f10/committing-suicide-t152-30.htm
Jerel Crespo wrote:
As for suicide-bombers, it just depends on your upbringing. I suppose it really isn't bravery if you expect paradise, as you said. However, the Japanese Kamikaze bombers are a different matter. As it was told to me, after death, the Japanese believe humans have to cross a river (something like the Styx, I suppose). Not being intact makes it hard to do so. I remember a murder case sometime back where a little child was killed, and her hands were cut off by the killer. The mother made a comment to the paper, and it was something like 'how can my little girl get to heaven without her hands?'

If the Japanese were exploding, there'd be no way to cross said river.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/voxpopuli
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Funerals...   Funerals... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Funerals...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Erudite Society :: Discussion :: Sociology-
Jump to: